Pebble Beach Area Info
As a young girl, I remember sleep overs at friends homes in Pebble Beach (especially on Halloween!). The Equestrian Center and playing in the Del Monte Forest have provided some fond memories!
Pebble Beach is approximately 2.5 hours south of San Francisco located on the Monterey Peninsula/Pacific Coast in California. If you are unfamiliar with Pebble Beach, below are some major attractions and facts about this world renowned destination for travelers both near and far:
- The Lodge at Pebble Beach and Golf Links (final round of the AT&T National Pro-Am golf tournament every February.
- 5 additional world class golf courses
- Spanish Bay
- The Lone Cypress Tree
- Point Joe
- Fanshell Overlook (Beach)
- The Ghost Tree
- Pebble Beach Equestrian Center
- To assist motorists from venturing into the maze of neighborhood roads, a red-dashed line down the center of the main road marks 17-Mile Drive.
- During the California Sea Lions birthing season, portions of the shoreline are protected from visitor intrusion with fencing.
- It is estimated that nearly 8,000,000 vehicles have visited Pebble Beach Resorts since 1990 to enjoy the sights, sounds and events.
- Many locations along the Drive have starred in motion pictures including National Velvet with Elizabeth Taylor, The Caddie with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, One Eyed Jack with Karl Malden and Marlon Brando; and Escape from Witch Mountain (Disney).
- Although the route has changed over the years, since it first opened in 1881, 17-Mile Drive is still exactly 17 miles long.
- The Monterey Cypress is native to only two areas – Point Lobos headland and the headlands at Cypress Point along 17-Mile Drive.
- The Lone Cypress recognized among “10 Most Magnificent Trees in the World” by World Amazing Events.com February 2009.